Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Snoop Dogg at The Apollo Theatre NYC

Snoop D-O-double G ........Oooooweee!!!

From the minute I stepped into the famed Apollo Theatre in Harlem, New York City, I had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Okay, let me back track. On a rainy (typical of NYC, do we sense a theme?) Monday I rushed home from work eager to slip off my pumps and get to loungin' with my favorite book. As soon as I laid down, my cell phone rang. My dear dear dear dear (did I mention dear?) friend told me to get up because he would be in my hood (Harlem, baby) soon and we were going to the Snoop concert. Lucky for me I was in semi-decent shape, I blew out my afro a little, threw on some creme cords a cheetah print shirt (purrrr), and we hit the Apollo. (Mind you all along I was getting clowned by my boy because I was "too dressy" for the Apollo).

The scene at The Apollo was calm considering how the crowds sometimes get at hip hop concerts. I was actually surprised but figured the less people the better. We sat down at our seats and waited a good minute before the lights dimmed and a short movie came on. The movie written and starring Mr.Calvin Broadus, featured the smooth sounds of the 70's, a huge creative influence on Snoop. We were then treated to a scenic tour of Los Angeles, the mood was definitely set.

A low-rider slowly rolled up in front of a huge Californian highrise with smoked up windows. As the door opens a lanky character emerges engulfed in smoke. Inside the apartment building a skantily clad woman (to say the least), leads Snoop into a bedroom where another cocoa goddess is waiting. Massages, naked bodies and oil proceeded with the end result of Snoop being knocked out in the bed. BAD MOVE Snoop as your lady scandously picks up her phone and notifies someone on the other end that you are sleep and they can come. (fellas don't make this same mistake). The snipers move in and a gun scene follows. With a big BANG the lights come on in the Apollo Theatre and there he is.......... Snoop D-O-double G!!!

Standing in the middle of the stage by himself with his tall lankiness flanked in a blue-rag jumpsuit the live band begins KILLING IT.... I honestly can't even remember what song he even started with because I was so shocked at everything that had just went down (with the movie and then him standing there). Whatever the purpose of all that was, it totally worked on me, someone who considers themself pretty media savvy. I almost forgot I was at a concert NOT a movie. I DO know that he started with one of his many classics from the 90's that made everyone jump out of their seats so fast (including me) and proceed to dance.

Dance was mostly what I did as Snoop went through all his classics (he has sooooo many, let's remember he has been around since the early 90's) and also his most recent hits. The appearance of The Dogg Pound - Kurupt & Daz - was another great surprise. Hearing the lyrical authority of Kurupt on Dr.Dre's Explosive reminded me how tight he was and IS and made me wish that more of these new artists would bring the same level of talent. Ice-T also made a cameo to give his OG stamp of approval.

Leaving The Apollo Theatre I was tired, worked OUT, and smiling coyly as I began to come down from my high. All covered up in my creme scarf and vintage coat I began my journey back home. At that moment a white police officer walked up to me and asked if I was the woman in the cheetah shirt. "Yes" I replied hoping I didn't do anything wrong (NO I was NOT one of the many smokers in there, so why me of all people?). "I Just want to tell you, you made my night watching you dance" he said. *Snaps* I guess I was in the 1st row meaning that everyone behind me would've seen my creme booty shaking all night long. I won't take credit for that though, I have to give all credit to Uncle Snoop cause HE was the cause, my dancing was just the effect!




http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1501176/05032005/snoop_dogg.jhtml

~dj

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home